Monday, May 18, 2009

Nadler Response

Dear Mr. Michaels:

Thank you for informing me of your support of H.R. 1913, the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views.

I am pleased to inform you that I am original co-sponsor of H.R. 1913. With hate crime incidence increasingly prevalent nationwide, the bill would give the U.S. Department of Justice jurisdiction to assist states and localities in the investigation and prosecution of crimes of violence committed against individuals on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.

As the Chair of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties, I played an integral role in ensuring the passage of the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act in the House of Representatives. I have been an original cosponsor of the bill since its inception, have defended the legislation during debate in the Judiciary Committee, and spoke out in favor of this bill on the House floor.

I am pleased to inform you that the bill has passed the House and is currently waiting to be voted on in the Senate. Please be assured that I will continue to push for passage of this important legislation.

I appreciate the time that it takes for you to inform me of your concerns and I would like to keep you up to date on my work in Congress. I publish a periodic e-newsletter that highlights the most recent work that I’ve been doing on behalf of the people of the 8th Congressional District.



Sincerely,

JERROLD NADLER